Monday, March 19, 2012

on dying

                     It is good to die before one has done anything deserving death.
-Anaxandrides


So my boss's cousin died last Saturday, god rest his soul. Pneumonia caused by meningitis, the doctors said - something that I had to look up because I'm just no good with medical terms. The guy was 22, barely out of college, and from what I gather, was far from sickly.  So aside from the whole water in the brain thing, what's got me stunned most was how fast things went down. Feverish for two weeks, coma for the next few days, and dead by Saturday. Where's the fair in that? I mean, how is it that somebody as strapping (I've seen his pictures) as a 22-year-old could end up in a morgue in less than a month without being in a brutal accident of some sort? How scary is it that the same things could happen to anyone that you care about and you won't be able to do something to stop it? They say that the lord giveth and the lord taketh away. How selfish he must then be. 

No comments: